1.06.2014

Handwritten Recipe: Black Bean and Quinoa Soup

I just celebrated a big birthday, and you all helped me out tremendously!  I (shamelessly) asked for you to send me handwritten recipes that I could work my way through in 2014.  I've got quite the stash going, though if you still wanted to send one my way I wouldn't protest.

Here's one that I tried today - black bean and quinoa soup - and I have to confess that it was a pretty stellar way to kick off the handwritten recipe project.  So, without further ado ...
 This recipe comes from a family friend who taught me in 2nd and 3rd grade!  She lives with her husband and four kids in South Carolina.  Thanks for the handwritten recipe, Becky!

1 tsp. olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. fresh tomato
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 c. quinoa
1 large carrot, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
2 bay leaves
4 c. vegetable broth
1 24-ounce can black beans
1/2 c. chopped cilantro

Saute onion in oil for about 5 minutes.  Add garlic and saute.  Stir in tomatoes.  Add cumin, oregano, and crushed red pepper.  Add quinoa, carrots, and bay leaves with 2 cups of the broth.  Boil 5 minutes. Add remaining broth and the black beans, bring to a boil then simmer 10 minutes.  Let sit for about 10 more minutes, remove bay leaves, and enjoy!

It was simple, delicious, and hearty!  I definitely be making this again.  As far as I can tell, it's vegan, which means it's also vegetarian.  Nice one to have up my sleeve if the need arises!

2 comments:

  1. I'm super excited to try this. And I love that I know the origin for the recipe too! :)

    ReplyDelete