12.05.2013

Chocolate Cutout Cookies

slightly adapted from allrecipes.com

1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. cocoa
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
3/4 c. butter, softened
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk

Sift dry ingredients together in a bowl.  Set aside.

Cream together butter and sugar.  Beat in egg and egg yolk.  Stir in sifted ingredients to form a soft dough.  Divide into two parts, flatten, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for two hours.


Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Roll out dough to 1/4" thickness and cut in desired shapes.  Bake 8-10 minutes.  Cool for 3-4 minutes on the baking sheet before removing to a rack to cool.


Confession: I was afraid of making my own roll-cut-and-bake cookies until I tried these.  It's probably because previous experiences yielded a dough that was too sticky to transfer from counter to cookie sheet.  I always ended up with shamefully indecipherable shapes.  But no more!  This dough is just right.  AND it's chocolate to boot, which makes these cookies a real gem.

I have two events in the next week that call for a plate of cookies.  My most recent batch made 6 dozen little cutouts (2" stars and 2" cookies) so you better believe that this will be my contribution.  I keep thinking that I should adorn them somehow ... dip them in white chocolate, add sprinkles, make them into sandwich cookies (now there's an idea) ... but honestly they don't last too long out of the oven for me to play around with.  But, they don't really need much extra.  I think they're perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment