6.27.2013

Mint Sweet Tea and Fresh Lemonade

No southern party is complete without sweet tea and lemonade!  Here are the recipes I used for our North Carolina party theme over the weekend.  I doubled each recipe to end up with a gallon of each.

To make Minty Sweet Tea: (1/2 gallon) put 4-6 regular sized tea bags (or 2-3 family size bags) in 2 cups of water.  Add 3-4 stalks of fresh mint (maybe 1/2 cup) and bring to a boil.  Boil for 3 minutes, turn off heat, and let sit for a while (10 minutes?  1 hour?  Depends on what else you've got going on.)
Squeeze out tea bags and mint; discard.  Stir in 1/2 cup sugar, return to the stove top and heat until sugar is dissolved.  Pour over ice, and stir together with enough water to equal 1/2 gallon (2 quarts).


To make Fresh Lemonade: (1/2 gallon) Combine 2 1/2 cups water and 1 1/2 cups sugar in a saucepan; bring to a boil and stir until sugar is melted.  Remove from heat.  Cover and cool at room temperature.  Pour into a 2 quart pitcher and stir in 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice and enough water and ice to make 2 quarts.  Serve immediately.

You know how I mentioned a while back that I had a game for the state-themed party?  Well, in a moment of panic, I realized that a game meant prizes.  At the time I realized this, I was stirring some tea in a pitcher.  So, I decided to make "Make Your Own Sweet Tea" party prizes, with tea bags, sugar, and directions in a brown paper bag.  I thought it was pretty cute.

But we never got around to playing the game, so these little favors are still sitting in my kitchen.  
More tea for us!

1 comment:

  1. Oh clever friend, I love your creativity and the simplicity of it all! You know what, forgotten favors means right, Time for another Party! :0) HAS

    ReplyDelete