10.04.2011

True Southern Spirit

Fried Green Tomatoes

Take 4 or 5 medium green tomatoes.  Cut them into 1/2 inch slices.

Beat an egg in a bowl.

In another bowl, mix some cornmeal (maybe half a cup), some salt (a teaspoon?) and whatever other spices catch your eye (I used crushed red pepper and Cajun seasoning).

Dip the tomato slices in the egg, then in the cornmeal.

Now the fun part - fry them in about 1/4 inch of hot oil until golden on one side.  Turn them and fry until golden, then remove to a paper towel to drain.  Um, delicious.

I'm not 100% sure that I fall in the category of "all things southern" in the way that my friends and family members do ... but I think I've planted myself a little deeper in southernness with these green tomato gems.  They were surprisingly citrusy - and really, really good.

In the spirit of Loving the South, I'd like to direct you to my favorite girl cousin's blog, Local Townie.  She moved to Kentucky over the summer, and has found herself the recipient of some beautiful southern hospitality.  I love, love, love this gal!  You've got to read her story here.

No comments:

Post a Comment