8.03.2011

Dutch Baby Pancakes

Dutch Baby Pancakes with Lemon and Sugar
from A Homemade Life, by Molly Wizenberg (have I mentioned that I'm loving this book?  L.O.V.I.N.G. it!)

Pancakes
2 Tbsp. butter
4 large eggs
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. half-and-half
1/4 tsp. salt

Topping
Freshly squeezed lemon juice
Powdered sugar, sifted

Preheat the oven to 425.
Put the butter in an 8-inch cast iron skillet and place over low heat.  As the butter melts, use a pastry brush to coax it up the sides of the skillet.
Meanwhile, in a blender, mix together the eggs, flour, half-and-half, and salt until well blended.
Pour the egg mixture into the warmed skillet.  Slide into the oven, and bake for 18-25 minutes.  The mixture will rise and puff around the edges, like a bowl-shaped souffle.  The Dutch baby is ready when the center looks set and the edges are nicely risen and golden brown.  
Remove from the oven.  Drizzle - or splash, really; abundance is good here - with lemon juice and sprinkle generously with powdered sugar.  Serve immediately.

A few updates:
Have I mentioned recently that I'm enjoying this book?  Especially after that seven-month long drought that sucked all literary life out of me (I've talked to a number of people who read that same book that took me seven months to read - and none of them liked it.  I wonder why it was so popular?), I'm savoring the relaxed read, the short chapters, and the invigorating style.  I'm a Wizenberg fan.  How did I not know about her and her blog, Orangette, until recently?

I'm working on the QUILTING BEE project - it's coming along nicely but it's not together yet.  I've got the top and the back pieced ... mostly.  Progress is being made - but August 1 came and went, and the quilt wasn't finished.  Sorry to those of you who have been sitting on the edges of your seats in eager anticipation (yeah, right - like would happen!)

Baby Rhymeswithsmile is scooting around.  She hasn't mastered forward motion, but she can go backwards like it's her job.  Well, I guess it is her job.  So she's doing great.  As I type this she's at my feet, on all fours, rocking back and forth and searching for little bits of dog hair on the carpet to put in her mouth.  This is fun.

And last but not least, the secret surprise announcement I've been teasing you all with for a while is coming.  Soon.  I'm working on it - as much as possible - and you'll know about it soon.  Cross my heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment