1.29.2011

Thanksgiving Dinner Casserole

Thanksgiving Dinner Casserole (so named because as we were eating it my cousin said, "It tastes like Thanksgiving dinner all in one bite!"  This is a dish that I have not personally cooked, but we received it from a kind mom-of-six in our church.  I emailed her right after eating it to ask for the recipe ...)


2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
1/2 small diced onion (about 1/4 cup)
olive oil
1/4 c. flour
Cream or milk (not sure on the amount - she didn't say!  I'd guess about 1 1/2 to 2 cups.)
salt and pepper
1 package of stuffing mix


Cut up chicken breasts into bite sized pieces.  Heat oil in a skillet and cook onion and chicken together until chicken is no longer pink.  Stir in flour.  When meat is coated, start adding the cream or milk a little at a time, stirring it all as it thickens into as much white sauce as desired.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Put this mixture in the bottom of a greased casserole dish.
Prepare stuffing according to the package in the quantity you want for the size of the casserole (I'd guess about 1/2 box?  Not sure, since I've not actually made it ...)  Spread stuffing on top.  
Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.


I can't say enough what a blessing it has been for us to receive meals from friends during this adjustment to life with a baby!  Sure, she's a (relatively) easy baby, but I can't imagine what a mess I'd be (not to mention the kitchen) if I had to juggle food prep and newborn care.  I can see it now ... accidentally giving the kiddo an onion to suck on while I dice the pacifier.  Thankfully, our friends and family have come to the rescue, and have made us some amazing meals with enough leftovers for lunches or second-dinners!  We are so thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment