9.14.2010

Appropriate Cake

Sock It To Me Cake - recipe from here

Streusel topping:
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. chopped pecans (optional)
Combine and set aside.

Glaze:
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
2 Tbsp. milk
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
Whisk together glaze ingredients until smooth and set aside.

Cake:
1 box yellow cake mix
4 eggs
1 c. sour cream
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1/4 c. water
1/4 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
Preheat oven to 375.  Combine cake ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat at medium speed for 3 minutes.  Pour half of batter into a greased and floured bundt or pound cake pan.  Sprinkle streusel filling on top and swirl through batter.  Spoon remaining batter evenly over filling.  Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool in pan for 25 minutes then invert onto a plate.  Cool completely.  Drizzle glaze over cooled cake.

Your guess is as good as mine as to why this cake is called a Sock It To Me Cake.  I have visions of cake-battered socks being thrown around kitchens by 50s housewives in pearls and heels, but I doubt that's the real origin.  I can imagine, though.  I feel like it's an appropriate cake to make during a busy time ... you know, when life is just socking it to me and I barely have time to catch my breath before the next thing comes around!

The pace of life has been a little wild for the Mr. and me recently with another semester starting, work routines to settle into, a baby to plan for, and weekends of travel.  Oh, and a garden coming in, friends to visit with, a dog to entertain, a new church home group to get to know, and a water aerobics class to attend.  Oh, and did I mention the 5 meals I have to stop and eat per day, and the 9+ hours of sleep I need a night?  Life gets busy, people.  Makes me hungry just thinking about it. 

Just to show that I am still eating enough for both myself and Baby rhymeswithsmile, here's a recent photo of us at 23 weeks:
Warning: if this busy-ness continues, the next picture you see of me will probably show me sprawled out on the couch, asleep.

1 comment: