1.07.2010

large scale

I got to spend a few days with Cousin Becky between Christmas and New Year's Day.  This is her, rocking out the ghetto-farmer-seamstress look:



She's the one who guest-posted on rhymeswithquilt a few days ago, with her Tree Skirt tutorial.  While we were together, we decided to spend a day making quilts and opted for an enormous log-cabin square.


Here's hers:



She started with a rectangle about 18 x 24, somewhat fat-quarterish but a bit bigger.  She added strips around the center block, ranging in widths from 3 inches to 5 inches.  I love that there's a ripped-up men's shirt and a few sheets in there ... 

Here's mine:





I started with a block about 18x22, and added 6-to-8 inch strips around the sides (I added the skinnier strips on the short sides of the middle block, and the wider strips on the long ends).  My final border (in red) is an even 10 inches on every side.

I love both the quilts so much!  Becky has been more productive than me - the goon is already finished with hers!  Mine is still draped (lovingly) over my sewing chair, waiting for the backing and a loop-de-loop free motion quilting pattern that I'm going to try out.  I'll post pictures when that one's done!

No comments:

Post a Comment