7.21.2009

Fowl Obsession

Chicken Salad 1 c. chopped cooked chicken 3 Tbsp. mayonnaise (the real stuff, none of this fake lite "spread" now, you hear?) 1 Tbsp. chopped dill pickle (or 1 Tbsp. pickle relish) 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill 1/4 c. chopped red or green sweet pepper 1/4 tsp. black pepper 1/8 tsp. curry powder (only if you like curry, though) 4 slices of the best quality bread you can get your hands on (or the free kind that occasionally ends up at our house - you know, like when a grocery store or bakery gets rid of its day-old bread? We've got half a freezer full of day-old bread. It's best when toasted ... kinda hides the staleness factor.) Toast bread. Combine all ingredients. Place filling on two bread slices and top with other two. Or, forget that you made enough for two people and heap the entire amount on one slice of bread, top with the other slice, eat it, and feed the two leftover slices to your spouse/roommate/friend in the form of a PB&J. I don't know what has come over me in the past week. I've had chicken salad SIX TIMES in seven days. You'd think I'd be tired of it by now, but not yet. I'm kinda wishing I were tired of it. I'm running out of chicken. This is so unlike me. I usually don't get obsessed about food, or have cravings for specific foods (unless, of course, you count the 3 half-gallons of ice cream and the tub of sherbet in the freezer ...). Food is food. Yes, I love it, but I usually don't come home at the end of the day thinking, "Man, I'm craving a [insert food here] tonight. I have to make it or I can't go on living." I made myself (another) chicken salad sandwich to bring to work today - I added about 1 tablespoon of mustard and a few drops of tabasco sauce. Left out the dill and black pepper. It was good ... but I think I prefer it the other way. With the curry and dill and peppers. But I do like the mustard in it, and I might run with that for a while. You can add or delete ingredients to your liking - I will say though that it's nice to have a little crunch in there (pickles or sweet peppers) and some seasoning/herb, especially fresh, adds a little something eggstra (sorry. I couldn't help it. Puns run in my family). Good cluck to you all! OK. I'll stop. No more paltry puns.

No comments:

Post a Comment