5.27.2009

Lovely Boatmeal

(Baked + Oatmeal = Boatmeal) Makes 4 servings or 3 if you're a hungry breakfaster like me. Easily doubled. And has nothing to do with boats. 

 2 cups uncooked oats 
1/2 cup packed brown sugar 
1 tsp baking powder 
1/4 tsp salt 
1 tsp cinnamon 
1/4 cup melted butter 
2 eggs 
3/4 cup milk 
1/2 cup dried cranberries, raisins, or other fruit. 

Mix all together put in lightly greased 9x9 inch dish. Bake at 325 degrees for 30-45 minutes (at 30 minutes, mine was still jiggly in the middle (aren't we all!) but at 40 minutes it was set.) Heat additional milk and spoon over each serving. (So the recipe says to heat milk, but I just poured milk out of the jug into my bowl, and the oats heated up the milk just fine.) 

(Update: I made this again this morning (6.3.2009), left out one egg and the melted butter accidentally, and it had a faster cooking time (about 30 minutes total) and tasted just as fantastic. Just wanted to throw that out there ...) 

Thanks, Bonnie, for the recipe! I've been wanting to try a baked oatmeal for a while, but I was scared ... after all, oatmeal itself is ... well, mushy, tasteless, and pretty gross (I feel like I can say that because I eat oatmeal at least 3 times a week). The thought of adding baking powder and eggs to that mushy tastelessness makes me shiver even now. But I did it. It tasted really good. Could be the half cup of sugar or the warm milk ... not sure exactly. But now I have a new favorite. It's just that ... I have to plan at least 30 minutes ahead. Could be tough. Today's Boatmeal comes after last night's Inaugural Tuesday Night Summer Potluck That Might Be On The Occasional Wednesday (Mexican theme). We've considered having Mexican-themed potlucks every week (I know I'D be ok with that, but not sure about everyone else.) Do you have any other ideas? The following have been suggested already: mediterranean 
medieval times (what?!?) 
around the world 
favorite childhood dishes 
green stuff or red stuff 

 Throw it out there, good neighbor. Rock my boat(meal).

No comments:

Post a Comment