12.02.2008

A selfless recipe for Pumpkin Bread

Makes 3 loaves
1 c. vegetable oil
3 c. sugar
4 eggs, beaten
1 large can pumpkin
1 c. chopped pecans and/or 1 c. chocolate chips
3 1/2 c. flour
2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. nutmeg
1 t. ginger
1 t. cloves
Mix oil, sugar, eggs, and pumpkin in large bowl.
Combine dry ingredients and pecans/chocolate chips in separate bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture, stir until mixed.
Fill half-full either 3 well-greased 1-pound coffee tins or 3 well-greased loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.
This is a fantastic recipe. My husband hates it when I give loaves away.
I've never made it with nuts, and I've never made it without chocolate chips (they're a must). The four spices (cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg) could be substituted with pumpkin pie spice - I guess 3-4 teaspoons of it would do.
This recipe is my default "gift bread." Case in point - my husband's sister just had her first baby. We show up with pumpkin bread. We weren't sure what to give our pastor for his birthday - pumpkin bread. Friends come over for craft night - pumpkin bread to take home. It's the perfect recipe because I can give away a loaf and still keep a couple for myself. Recipients think that I am so kind and selfless to have put all that work into the bread for their little occasion, but little do they know that I get to keep two-thirds of the efforts, rewarding myself for my kindness with an appetizer slice, a slice with dinner, and one with ice cream for dessert. I'm ashamed to admit, but we could go through a loaf in less than 24 hours. Need breakfast? Pumpkin bread. Need dessert? Pumpkin bread. Need a bread to go with your creamy tomato bisque from a can? Pumpkin bread.
So if you have an occasion coming up, be on the lookout for the bread. Feel free to call me out for keeping my two loaves, but be warned that I might make you share your ONE loaf with me right then and there.

2 comments:

  1. oo... you're blogging? this looks delicious! miss you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. All right, that's it! I demand a loaf of Pumpkin Bread upon arrival when we come at the end of March/beginning of April (we're still working out the timing)! And, of course, I'm only demanding this so that you can have two for yourself. See? Everyone can be selfless with this recipe! Even the recipient! : P

    Love you and your fabulous recipes!
    ~Lauren~

    ReplyDelete